Burscough Bridge Station is situated on the Southport to Wigan line. It was built by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company and opened on the 9th April 1855. The original station buildings survive in private use on the Wigan bound platform whilst Lancashire County Council constructed a modern transport interchange on the Southport platform in 2006, but these are currently out of use.
Up to 1962, when the route closed, trains from Southport could continue through Burscough Bridge Station round the Burscough curve to Burscough Junction and on to Ormskirk. The station is well situated close to the village centre which boasts a wide range of shopping outlets. It is worth noting that if one wants to connect with a train from Burscough Junction Station the walk will take about 20 minutes!
Recently nearby Martin Mere Wetland Centre has been linked directly to the station by a new footpath. The footpath link has been funded by Natural Tourism Demonstration Project, the Climate Change Fund and Groundwork and is a partnership project between the West of Lancs CRP and Martin Mere.
Burscough Bridge Station
SD 443124 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Ticket Vending Machine
- Twice hourly service to Southport, Bolton & Manchester
- Shelters on platforms
- Additional seating on platforms
- Free car park – 40 spaces
- Cycle storage – secure bike bins & cycle hoops
- Buses are available outside the station and in the village – click here for bus timetables
- Rail User Group – Ormskirk, Preston & Southport Travellers Association
- Friends of Station group – contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Martin Mere Wetland Centre is approximately 1 mile from the station – click here for more information
- Burscough Football Club is also close to the station – click here for more information
100 Women 100 Journeys
Book published - Posted 13.04.21
Community Rail Lancashire Annual Report 2020
A record of the work of CRL and its 4 CRPs. Posted 09.04.21
Make Your Own Wooden Planters
Help to brighten up your local station. Posted 08.04.21
New Hanging Baskets At Preston Station
Baskets help 'light' up the station. Posted 08.04.21
CRPs Set To Help Local Railways To Recover
Following the Covid-19 pandemic. Posted 30.03.21