Burscough Bridge Station is situated on the Southport to Wigan line. It was built by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company and opened on the 9th April 1855. The original station buildings survive in private use on the Wigan bound platform whilst Lancashire County Council constructed a modern transport interchange on the Southport platform in 2006, but these are currently out of use.
Up to 1962, when the route closed, trains from Southport could continue through Burscough Bridge Station round the Burscough curve to Burscough Junction and on to Ormskirk. The station is well situated close to the village centre which boasts a wide range of shopping outlets. It is worth noting that if one wants to connect with a train from Burscough Junction Station the walk will take about 20 minutes!
Recently nearby Martin Mere Wetland Centre has been linked directly to the station by a new footpath. The footpath link has been funded by Natural Tourism Demonstration Project, the Climate Change Fund and Groundwork and is a partnership project between the West of Lancs CRP and Martin Mere.
Burscough Bridge Station
SD 443124 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Ticket Vending Machine
- Twice hourly service to Southport, Bolton & Manchester
- Shelters on platforms
- Additional seating on platforms
- Free car park – 40 spaces
- Cycle storage – secure bike bins & cycle hoops
- Buses are available outside the station and in the village – click here for bus timetables
- Rail User Group – Ormskirk, Preston & Southport Travellers Association
- Friends of Station group – contact email@example.com for more information
- Martin Mere Wetland Centre is approximately 1 mile from the station – click here for more information
- Burscough Football Club is also close to the station – click here for more information
Mills To Tower Skyline Installed at Rishton
Wakes week artwork on station fence. Posted 27.02.21
New Volunteers Wanted At Local Station
Station adoption group at Church & Oswaldtwistle looking for new members. Posted 27.07.21
Rufford Gains New Artwork
Running in Boards installed to promote Rufford Old Hall. Posted 26.07.21
DalesRail Sunday 25 July 2021
Cancelled due to driver shortages. Posted 24.07.21
Serious Announcement – Serious Game
Virtual reality to help disabled passengers. Posted 22.07.21