The railway station at Pleasington, as the name suggests, is situated in a very pleasant and rural suburb of Blackburn. The village lies within a wide sweep of the River Darwen and was established during Anglo Saxon times.The village is mentioned in the Doomsday Book as ’Plesigtune’ meaning Plessas people. Plessa was probably an Anglo Saxon landowner.
Pleasington’s Roman Catholic Priory, a grade one listed building with a magnificent rose window is well worth a visit and is one of the hidden gems of the area. Designed by a Manchester based architect John Palmer the foundation stone was laid on 6th June 1813 and the priory opened on 24th August 1819 at a cost of £20,000.
The locals at this time earned a living quarrying, farming and hand loom weaving. Some of the old cottages located around The Railway Hotel were probably used by hand loom weavers. As well as the Railway Hotel there ia another public house in the village, The Butler’s Arms which ia about a ten minute walk from the station.
Blackburn Rovers’ first football ground was established in the village in 1877.
There are excellent walks along the River Darwen to Witton Country Park and the Wildlife Trust for Lancashire maintains an area of woodland and a wildlife garden adjacent to Pleasington cemetery. There is also a Victorian walled garden here which attracts several species of butterflies.
SD 642262 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
This station is now a request stop – if you wish to alight at this station please inform the conductor and if you wish to board please make a clear signal to the driver.
+ Unstaffed station
+ Hourly service to Preston and Colne
+ Waiting shelters with seating
+ Long Line Public Address
+ Friends of Station – visit communityraillancashire.co.uk/station-adoption/ for more details
+ CRP branded notice boards
+ Adjacent to Pleasington Golf Club
+ A very limited (one a day each way) bus service operates from the station entrance (service 220) – click here for bus timetables, alternatively the 152 service operates from outside the Feildings Arms on Preston Old Road (15 minutes walk from the station).
+ Pleasington Priory is about a 10 minute walk from the station and more information can be found by clicking http://bit.do/STBb.
+ There is easy access from the station to part of the Witton Weavers Way, a 32 mile circular walk around the Blackburn area – click http://bit.do/STA7 for more information.
Feel Good Field Trips Shortlisted For Award
Avanti West Coast Feel Good Field Trip project has been shortlisted for the Spotlight Rail Awards. Posted 11.12.23
Through Here To Martin Mere
Local school has made an artistic feature of the walking access off Burscough Bridge Station Platform One to Martin Mere – The route now can’t be missed! Posted 07.12.23
CRL & CRPs Gain Reaccreditation
Community Rail Lancashire pleased to learn that it has achieved reaccreditation from the Department of Transport. Posted 04.12.23