Salwick railway station is situated on the Preston to Blackpool railway line, 5¼ miles west of Preston, and lies between Preston and Kirkham, near the village of Clifton. The station was closed on 2 May 1938 along with Lea Road railway station to the east, but was reopened on 8 April 1940 to serve the adjacent industrial complex and in particular the nearby nuclear fuel plant.
The area of “Clifton With Salwick” was in the Archdeaconry of Richmond in the Diocese of Chester. The etymology of Salwick is unclear. The “wick” may come from Old English wic, meaning an earlier Romano-British settlement specialised in farming; but the “Sal(w)” element is unclear.
SD 462320 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
+ Unstaffed station
+ Very sparse service to Blackpool South (4 trains a day) and Preston (3 trains a day)
+ Waiting shelter on island platform with seating
+ Long Line Public Address
+ A limited bus service operates from the Boltons Cross in Salwick village centre, about 20 minutes walk (service 77) – click here for bus timetables.
Summit Tunnel Closure To Affect Services
Essential engineering works means bustitution. Posted 14.10.21
Shifting Sands Grant Success
To support railway travel poster exhibition. Posted 06.10.21
Clitheroe Station Car Parking
Loses its free park & ride facility. Posted 06.10.21
Covid Secure Travel Virtual Reality Simulation for Passengers
A serious game that aims to encourage passengers back. Posted 30.09.21
Calder Valley CRP Job Opportunity
A chance to join the community rail family! Posted 29.09.21